Monday, January 17, 2011

Lemon-Berry Scones



This is the same basic scone recipe as the Orange Scones, just a little different. I increased the sugar by just a little to counteract the tartness of the berries. I do not like tart flavors. I hope you feel inspired to try different flavors. I'd love to hear about it if you do!


2 C all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

3 Tbsp sugar

Zest of 2 lemons

1/2 C half-and-half or milk

1 large egg

1 C frozen berries of choice

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Using your hands, rub the butter into the flour mixture, squeezing and pinching until the mixture resembles a course meal and there are no butter lumps bigger than a pea. Add the lemon zest and sugar, and whisk to combine
2. In a small bowl, combing the milk and egg. Whisk or beat with a fork until well combined. Add to flour mixture along with the berries and stir until just combined.
3. Turn dough out and any unincorporated flour onto a board or counter top. Press and gather and gently knead the dough until it just comes together. Be very careful not to overwork the dough or the scones will turn out tough and chewy.
4. As soon as the dough holds together, pat it into a circle about 1" thick. It doesn't need to look perfect. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
5. Bake at 425 for 10-14 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Frozen berries really work the best in this recipe. I used a mixture of blueberries and raspberries because that's what I had, but I'm not much of a blueberry fan. These are absolutely amazing when still warm from the oven. If you need to reheat them it's best done at 300 in the oven, but I'm too lazy and impatient for that so I just do it in the microwave.

I've made these with half-and-half and with 1% milk, and I truly don't notice a difference in taste or texture... but then I don't exactly have a very refined palate. So if you're looking to cut calories, use milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment