Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Stuffed Shells

I got this recipe from my friend Amanda, and it quickly became my husband's favorite!

Stuffed Shells

  • 15 Jumbo Shells
  • 1 lb Italian sausage
  • 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
  • 15 oz container ricotta cheese
  • 5-6 C red pasta sauce
  • 1 C shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Cook the shells according to directions on the package.

2. Meahwhile, brown the sausage and drain if desired.

3. In a large bowl, mix together the ricotta, spinach, and sausage.

4. Drain shells and rinse with cold water until easy to handle.

5. Cover the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish with a thin layer of sauce. Stuff shells with sausage mixture and arrange in a single layer in the baking dish.

6. Cover with remaining sauce.

7. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling. Top with mozzarella and bake 5-10 minutes more, or until cheese is all melted. Let sit a few minutes before serving.

I like to add a lightly beaten egg or a little milk to the ricotta mixture, it just adds a little extra creaminess. For the sauce, you can use jarred, but I just make my own. I use 3 14.5oz cans of tomato sauce and just season to taste. I've also used grated zucchini in place of the spinach with equally delicious results. To stuff the shells you can either use a spoon, or place the mixture in a large zip top bag, cut off a corner, and pipe the stuffing into the shells. I cook at least a couple extra shells because there always seems to be one or two that fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment